Salvia Forum

( Für Mitglieder: Zur Anmeldung | Für Gäste: Zur Registrierung )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> My Plants And A Few Questions

post Oct 25 2007, 16:34
Beitragslink: #1

Grünschnabel

Gruppe: Members

Hello everyone,
These are my plants. I bought them as little plants on ebay in may, so I've got them for almost half a year. They were attacked by some parasites while they were young, but I managed to get rid of them. Since then they look healthy and grow pretty fast.
As you can see they way they grow is more like of a skinny tree, than a bush. What I want to do is make the plants to grow more branches, so ultimately they could grow more leaves. While I found some guides on the internet how to do it, however I couldn't find a more thorough guide with pictures, so I would really know what to do, where to cut, etc. I remember I found a guide a year or two before I started growing them that explained what to do to make your plant to grow like a bush (well I guess you know what I mean), but it seems that I lost the link over those years and can't find it now. I think it might have been from this site, but I can't find it now.

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/3745/wa007zjx5.jpg

So can anyone give me some advice?

Der Beitrag wurde bearbeitet von mizuno am Oct 25 2007, 16:51 Uhr.
Go to the top of the pageProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
post Oct 25 2007, 16:39
Beitragslink: #2

Salvianaut

Aus: Funkytown

Read rules please. Pictures of that size should be linked.

As far as I know direct light could be the reason for that kind of growing. I saw pictures
in this forum where member used tinfoil to redirect the light of lamps.

I hope this was proper English ^^

--------------------
+Quote Post
post Oct 25 2007, 16:57
Beitragslink: #3

Verdeckter Ermittler

Gruppe: V.I.P.

As far as I know you should cut the upper branches. The plants will built ab two new branches instead of the old one. So it would become less high and rather bushy

--------------------
Entzug macht klug
+Quote Post
post Oct 25 2007, 17:00
Beitragslink: #4

Salvianaut

The lighting conditions in general can cause that skinny growth. The more natural light, the better ― just not too much direct sun light. If they stand too far off the brightest window, they try to get to that brighter spot by growing fast. The same happens with light which is too far in the red spectrum, like from normal lightbulbs: Salvia grows towards it fast. If you grow them with artificial, warm lighting or they don't get enough natural light, try lamps with a daylight-spectrum, with 5000K color temperature or above. AFAICT you can cut down your Sallies wherever it suits you best. That part of the plant which is to grow further (and it's cuttings, which you possibly want to cultivate as well,) is just to have at least one node left, otherwise it can't grow at all wink.gif

Glass

--------------------
döp!!!11!1 ¡klick mich fett!
QUOTE(erdbeertoertchen @ Jan 17 2011, 23:32)
wikileaks ist terror unso, weil es uns zwingt uns mit sachen auseinanderzusetzen vor denen uns hauptberufliche journalisten zu schützen versuchen.
+Quote Post
post Nov 21 2007, 07:13
Beitragslink: #5

Salvia Kenner

Aus: California USA

QUOTE(Mintmagician @ Oct 25 2007, 08:57)
As far as I know you should cut the upper branches. The plants will built ab two new branches instead of the old one. So it would become less high and rather bushy

This is the Correct advice. Take a 6" cutting from the top (Or the end of a large Side Branch).

Put the cutting in a mug of water so you wind up with another plant, also.

The node below the cut will eventually put out a branch from the two sides that had leaves on them: the branches will sprout JUST Above the meeting of the petiole and the node (What we call the 'shoulder' of the node) so the plant becomes 'two-headed' and shaped like a "Y".

Then, when those two new ends have grown long enough you take cuttings (2 more plants!) above the first node beyond your original cut. Then the letter Y will have 2 little whys growing out of the heads of the first Y - and 2 more branches will grow out of the two headed plant's ends - making it a 4 headed plant!

then It'll have 8 branch ends - Then 16 heads ... Then you'll find yourself braiding the branches into topiary and putting silly dresses on her ... And a small forest of baby plants from all the cuttings.

Good luck fighting the Hydra, Hercules - No torches allowed this time ....

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

1 Besucher zu diesem Thema (Gäste: 1 | Anonyme Besucher: 0)
Mitglieder: 0 |

stats
Aktuelles Datum: 29th March 2024 - 00:35

Linux powered Lighttpd Wir respektieren deine Privatsphäre. Keine IP-Speicherung! Stoppt die Vorratsdatenspeicherung!